Weekly Quote

"The Gospel is a woman's first and most important discipline, for it is the source of godliness."
~ Barbara Hughes, Disciplines of a Godly Woman

Weekly Memory Verse

"According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness,
through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.." 2 Peter 1:3

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thankful Thurday

Today I am hooking up with "Spiritually Unequal Marriage" for Thankful Thursday. Head on over there to see what more bloggers are thankful for today!


Well, I just want to say how thankful I am for God's Word. We often take it for granted that we have full access to it, and can read it whenever we want. Many people were killed for just trying to get it into print for the English speaking world, and for trying to share it and read it themselves. Most of us have several Bibles in our homes, and many of us still don't even get one out until it's time to go to church on Sunday. I heard a great sermon from one of the preachers at our church about the King James Bible, and it really touched me. (By the way, you can visit our church website and there is a list of sermon archives there that you can listen to...great preaching and teaching!) He talked about how the Bible came to be, and how we do take it for granted. This inspired me to make sure that I stay in the Word every single day. I joined a blogging group that is going through the Bible in a year chronologically. It has been a real blessing for me and keeps me accountable to read every day. It gives me the extra encouragement I need when I just don't feel like I have time to read that day.

God's Word is such a blessing to me. It gives me answers when I need them, and even when I don't (or don't think I do). It gives me comfort and peace in difficult times. It leads me down the right path and tells me how to avoid going down the wrong one. It does more things for me than I can list, and I can't imagine not having it. I'm so thankful to God for making it available to me. My prayer is that I don't ever take it for granted again! I hope soon to have a scripture memory verse posted on my blog every week. We do memory verses for Sunday School at church, and I want to start sharing mine with you. If one day we ever come to the point that our Bibles are taken away, I want to have the Word hid in my heart so that I will still have it!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. What a blessing! I am going to head over to the church website right now. Thank-u so much for sharing! Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!!! We truly are blessed. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This IS a beautiful post! I want to have the Word hidden in my heart, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! I am also so thankful for God's Word! And thanks for sharing the link for the blogging group that's reading through the Bible in a year. I'm going to check it out.

    Hope you're having a great week!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessed post. You are so right, it is easy to take our easy access to the Bible for granted. If ever a time comes when I can't lay hold of one, I also want it hidden in my heart.
    God bless you,
    sharon

    ReplyDelete