Weekly Quote

"The Gospel is a woman's first and most important discipline, for it is the source of godliness."
~ Barbara Hughes, Disciplines of a Godly Woman

Weekly Memory Verse

"According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness,
through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.." 2 Peter 1:3

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thankful Thursday

For more Thankful posts, head over to Grace Alone!


Late Tuesday afternoon my husband called me and said that he would be coming home late. I asked why because I knew that he wanted to come home as soon as possible, and work on his shop some before dark. He said that "we are just now leaving Atlanta." I asked, "who's we?" He replied, "me and the tow truck driver." So then came the sudden gulp and the rise in blood pressure and my many questions about what had happened. The ball joint went out on the front end of his work van causing the front right tire to crash into the fender and sent the front of the van crashing to the ground and the back of the van came off the ground. That's all he told me until he came home and got the van off the tow truck into the driveway. When he came inside, he told me that he thanked God that he was alive and able to come home. This all happened in the parking lot as he was leaving the job site. Had it of happened on I-85 just a few minutes later, he would have been dead. He had all his tools in the front of the van with him, because the back was full of supplies. Anyone who knows what a cargo van looks like, knows that there is a metal cage that separates the front two seats from the rest of the van. This keeps people from being able to brake the front window and steal tools, and also to keep the driver and passenger safe from flying tools and etc. One would also know that these vans are very top heavy especially when loaded with ladders, such as my husbands van is. If the ball joint would have gone out on the highway, the van would have flipped and rolled, and if the impact of the crash wouldn't have killed him, the tool boxes he had up front would have repeatedly crushed him each time the van rolled.

I don't mean to over dramatize, or be too descriptive, but it just shows how wonderful God's protection is. That's what He saved us from Tuesday. We pray so often for traveling mercies, sometimes not realizing just how important those prayers can be. What's more, I didn't even pray for his traveling mercies that morning, like I usually do. But God was there. Even though I wasn't faithful, God was, and always is! Our anniversary is in two days, and thanks to God's protection, I don't have to spend it a widow! My children have their daddy still! This is the second time God has protected hubby from a horrific accident on the road. Some of you may remember the post I had, (before I deleted them all) where hubby was one car away from being side swiped and he watched the truck in front of him flip and roll across 6 lanes of traffic. If he wouldn't have already started pushing on the brake, allowing him to slow down a little before the car came into their lane, it would have been him instead. He was watching that car and saw that it was driving a little wreck less. Something told him, we know it was God, that he should slow down and get space from it. Just at that instant, it jerked into their lane, and he slammed the brake down quickly as his foot was already lightly pushing on it, and the car hit the truck in front of him flipping and rolling it across 6 whole lanes of traffic. Since he had already started to brake, the vehicles behind him started to slow down as well and were able to stop in time to keep from hitting him from behind and causing a pile-up.

I find it to be so amazing, the way God can work the most minute details that we just look over, to accomplish His will! God's providence is amazing and beyond comprehension sometimes. If you want to quit reading here, I understand, but I'm so excited about all this that I have to continue with the story of my van today.

So, hubby's boss paid him to stay home today and work on fixing the work van. Since my husband is mechanically inclined, his boss would rather pay him to work on the van than pay a mechanic shop to do it. Hubby was using my...scratch that...our family van to run to the parts stores to get what he needed to fix the work van. On his second trip, as he pulled into the driveway, the oil pressure light came on, and when he got out of the van, he saw an oil trail from the street to under the van. He opened the hood and found that a seal had come out from the side of the engine and the oil was leaking out. God saved us twice here. He waited until the van was feet from home for the seal to pop out, and he made sure hubby was home. If it happened far away from the house while he was driving, the oil would have come out blown the motor up. If hubby wouldn't have been home, it would have been me and the kids in the van. I had errands to run today and wouldn't of had my cell phone because it was dead this morning...forgot to charge it. So the kids and I would've been stuck on the side of the road with a blown motor and no way to call anyone. My errands were much farther away than just where he went today.

So on the downside, we had two broke down vehicles in the driveway and no way to go get parts for them! But we are so thankful to the provisions and protection that God gave us within the last two days! They don't make a repair manual for Kia Sedona's and you can only get parts through the dealership, so we had to tow it to the service department at the dealership. Without a book, my husband has no way to fix it. It's nothing like a Chevy, or Ford, and most of it's computerized since it's so new. We have very little money, so I'm praying that God will work another miracle and provide us with a way to get it fixed. This is the last thing we wanted or needed now, financially, but how can you complain, after what God has just protected us from? The last thing I would want or need right now would be to loose my husband, so I'll take a van in the shop!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what a few days your family has had! Praise be to God for keeping you safe and carrying out His plan for you.
    Same kind of thing happened to our van last summer. Husband drove the van to a shop because of a wobley tire. The mechanic drove it for a test drive and no longer when the mechanic drove it into the parking lot the lug-nuts fell off of the front rt tire. If my husband (or the mechanic) were driving it on the highway there is no doubt that it would have rolled and killed him. It's amazing God's grace and plan for our lives. Praying that stress would be eliminated from your family as you vocus on Him. Blessings to you! ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, there are some BIG things to be thankful for there!!! Wow, thanks for sharing that. What an incredible thing you guys just went through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God that your husband is safe! That truly is something to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God for His mighty protection!! Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that God was protecting your husband, and I know He is going to meet your financial and vehicle needs as well. God is always faithful to take care of His children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You do not have a dull life, do you? Glad that he was safe and protected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God for taking care of your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So thankful to God for protecting your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just getting caught up with my blog reading, so I didn't know all your family had been through these last few days. Praise God for His protection! It's so easy to wallow in pity, and complain about everything that goes wrong, but when we realize how God is watching out for us, we can be grateful for His powerful hand in our lives. I'm sure it's tough to be without your vehicle right now, but I'm thinking God has a reason to keep you and the children at home. So once again I praise and thank Him for taking care of His children as the loving Father He is.

    ReplyDelete