Weekly Quote

"The Gospel is a woman's first and most important discipline, for it is the source of godliness."
~ Barbara Hughes, Disciplines of a Godly Woman

Weekly Memory Verse

"According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness,
through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.." 2 Peter 1:3

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Van Update

Thank you all for your kind words on my last post! The news from the mechanic shop was not good. They said the problem with the engine on the van is sludge build-up and it needs to be replaced. Anybody know the going rate for a used Kia Sedona engine?...$3,500. Yep, that's right. We don't have that. Not by a long shot. So we paid our hundred dollar diagnostic fee and towed the van back home.

I had no idea. The van was in great shape when we bought it. They said the previous owner obviously didn't take it in for routine oil changes and there was no way to know that the sludge was building up when we bought it without opening the engine. They call engine sludge, "the silent killer." So we took the news pretty hard. We still owe $5400 on the van. We have no other vehicles. At least hubby can still get to work...he did get his company work van fixed today. We have one long shot that he's going to try. He's going to use diesel fuel to do an engine flush. It may or may not get the sludge out, and it could possibly damage some parts in the engine, but at this point we have nothing to loose. What's it going to hurt if we damage an engine that needs to be replaced anyway?

I can't imagine not having a way for us to go to church, or anywhere again. We had to do that for a little over a month, about a year and a half ago. My oldest son will end up missing piano lessons if we can't fix the van. It's hard to be upbeat and hubby is taking it the worst, because he's the provider, but like I told him, we'll do what we need to do. It's all in the Lord's hands, and there is a reason for everything. I am just thankful to have him. I'd much rather loose a van, than loose him. Maybe that's why God allowed the failure on his work van... so that we would be prepared for this and able to keep it in perspective. Please just keep us in your prayers, and no matter what the scenario, we give God all the honor, praise and Glory!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear the news about your van. I will keep praying with you about it. What may seem impossible to us is always possible with God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I could help in some way. We have been there and it is so difficult. I'm just sorry and I will be continuing to pray for you guys. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I've never heard of this problem before... engine sludge. Crazy. I even googled it and eew seems to built up!(http://www.schleeter.com/oil-sludge.htm)

    Hoping that cleaning it with diesel will be what does the trick!

    ReplyDelete